[meteorite-list] Meteorite smugglers anger scientists

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:57:42 -0400

Dear List,

That article is so full of "crater" holes. If it were not for the private
sector going and collecting and/or buying these stones, there would not be
the physical wealth of material that HAS been provided to scientists all
around the world. I think collectors and/or scientists who claim such
travesties are pretty close-minded. For every classified meteorite (and some
not "officially" classified but samples provided) science get a portion to
study, and in many cases MORE than the required 20 grams or 20%.

Bad press like this will only hurt scientists in general to be able to
obtain samples from these meteorites in the future.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection