[meteorite-list] Meteorite smugglers anger scientists

From: Alhyane Abdelaziz <nwameteorite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:04:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mike and list

thought you were to say hundreds, and for you to make thousands and even millions, because if you have to pay $100 automaitically you see that you'll sell at $1000 or more, but if you do not see a profit, you would not pay $100.this is the comerce.
Thanks
Aziz

Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy at yahoo.com> wrote: The Moroccans are smarter now than most collectors.
You will not get a lunar or Martian meteorite cheap
there now. 90% of them can recognize one in a second.
Don't feel too sorry for most of the Moroccans, they
make much more money than most of us dealers who pay
nearly retail for the material IN MOROCCO, and they
live quite well off of the meteorites. It has greatly
impacted the financial well-being of most of them
involved in the meteorite trade. I mean come on, now
they get tens of thousands of $$$ for a black rock
they picked up in the sand. How often does that happen
to someone in Germany or the UK?
Michael Farmer
--- Darren Garrison wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:06:52 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Hello Moni and List,
> >If the article is referring to unclassified
> material,which would make sense,
> >thereby allowing material never to reach the
> scientific community, the point
> >is well taken.
>
> The problem with that argument is that from the
> stories that the people who go
> to Morocco tell, those nomads aren't nearly as
> clueless as the article writer
> claims that they are. They may have been at first,
> but they learned to notice
> the difference between a common meteorite and a
> valuable one. Which is why
> people like MF and the Hupes have to make big
> negotiations to get their lunars,
> Martians, and other rare achondrites instead of
> getting them for 10 cents a gram
> in heaps of OCs. The rare stuff is going to be
> recognized by the original
> dealers and sold at rare stuff prices to rare stuff
> dealers/collectors.

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.