[meteorite-list] Recent meteorite trip pictures and story > 1100 miles , over 300.00 dollars in fuel and one flat tire!

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 15:05:59 -0400

Hi,

I have placed a couple of pictures on my web page from my last
meteorite hunting trip. This trip was like one of the normal trips
where no meteorites were found. 1100 miles ,over 300.00 dollars in fuel
and one flat tire! Every trip is always an adventure. This trip was no
different. It started out leaving the house with rain and high winds. I
said to myself it will not be raining and hopefully the wind will be
little or none! Well after many hours of driving I arrived at my
destination. I was wrong it was still raining and the winds were not
that bad. It only took me five minutes to chase my hat down after I
stepped outside to check the wind. I was still not going to give up. I
spent a couple of hours hiking around, the only cool finds were two old
whiskey bottles. One was purple and the other one was dark brown. Too
bad they were empty it would have made the walk back to the truck
better!

I still had a couple of great places to check out, but more driving. At
these locations I was sure to find a new meteorite! Ok, might find a
new meteorite. The wind was only 10- 15 mph. Still no meteorites,
nothing that even looked like one. I had one last location to check
out. This is an area that my hunting partners and I talked about ,that
should be a great location for meteorites. It would only be a 40 minute
hike . The weather was a little better with a slight chance of rain .
After hiking through the area , still no meteorites. I decided to take
a couple pictures of the large rocks and boulders. This area would make
a great hideout in the old western days. I found one large rock that
had a hole through the middle of it and would be a great place to get
out of the weather. I started to take a couple of pictures and it
started to rain then turned to snow, that was the cool part . It also
started to thunder and lightning. I decided to wait out the storm in
the rock shelter. The thunder storm only lasted 10 minutes before it
moved into the next range. Well at this point I had enough of meteorite
hunting and decided I hated meteorites and would never hunt for them
again. At least not for a couple of weeks! And for the flat tire, that
was not found until the next day before I had to go back to work.

Still to come.. I will be adding pictures to my webpage of meteorites
that came out in the last bulletin. Two Nevada finds Starvation Flat
and Coyote Springs. One from California named Chigaco Valley.

Sonny

http://www.nevadameteorites.com/id81.htm

http://www.nevadameteorites.com/id99.htm A couple pictures
of Bryce Utah taken on recent meteorite hunt.