[meteorite-list] NWA 960 Very Rare Anomalous Chondrite and crystals in the crust

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:32:18 EDT

Hi list, Meteorite Times has a column of mine called Micro Visions. This
last one was "Crystals in the Crust" (NWA 2371) and the one before that was on
NWA 960 Very Rare Anomalous Chondrite.

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/Micro_Visions.htm

I recently received a thick sample (by thick, I mean not a thin section) of
NWA 960 from Adam Hupe. It is an edge slice with crust! It has the same
crystal structure, shown in the last Micro Visions, as in the crust of NWA 960.
 I have never seen this odd crust in any other meteorite before. I have
examined hundreds of meteorites under the microscope and I always look at the
crust features if there are any.

My examination in high magnification reflected light exposes features that
would be likely over looked in transmitted light examination because many
crusts are rather opaque.

I will post images to the Gallery
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/ but that takes time and these are new. I just took them. If any one is
interested, email me with observations and I will be glad to send some new
micrographs of NWA 960 crust.

Tom Phillips