[meteorite-list] Tektite Surface Question- Please Zap if I'mout of place

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:03:56 -0500

Hello all,

Norm wrote:

"Also, particularly with the "onion" type of splatted tear, there is usually
a marked contrast between an unpitted, stretched upper surface and a deeply
pitted base. The latter resembles the texture of molten metal poured onto a
very wet surface, where the resulting steam pockets pit the base. I've
often wondered if this is a clue that tektites fell during a very widespread
rainy (monsoon) season when most of southeast Asia was wet. This might also
help to explain why we never see anything embedded in the impact surface of
a plastic tektite."

I collect the onion tektites and have always found those of interest also
Norm. (I think I even got a few of mine from you a few years ago.)

Another interesting version of the onion tektite, are ones with completely
flat, planar flat, bottom. As if they landed like a Hersey Kiss, still
partly soft, and then solidified. Mind you, the physics on such seems
impossible. (If these tektites fell from the upper atmosphere.)

Mark