[meteorite-list] Re: Hypersthene in LL3's?

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 11:30:34 +0200

Hi Jeff, and All,

At least the OCs of the L-group are rich in hypersthene, and they even have
been called "hypersthene chondrites" prior to our modern classification
system. Have a look at:

http://www.meteoris.de/class/L-Group.html

It wouldn't take me by surprise if some LL members would also show
lithologies that are dominated by hypersthene, or compositionally similar
pyroxenes.

Best,
Norbert

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Hi all,

While I know Hypersthene crystals are found in Achondrites (Johnstown
probably the most notable), I'm curious how prevalent it is in Ordinary
chondrites. I've seen several good examples of bright pale-green crystals in
LL3 chondrites with some measuring up to 1mm-1.5mm in size. I'm wondering if
this might also be Hypersthene?

Cheers,

Jeff