[meteorite-list] Collection Falls Into Hands of Meteorite Gallery in Texas

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 12:20:45 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.star-telegram.com/metro_news/story/192739.html

Collection falls into hands of meteorite gallery
By JOHN AUSTIN
Star-Telegram (Texas)
August 6, 2007

FORT WORTH -- There's nothing like a new box of old rocks -- at least
for meteorite collectors.

That's why Arthur Ehlmann, curator of the Monnig Meteorite Gallery at
Texas Christian University, is a happy guy.

The gallery recently acquired samples of 22 of the world's most coveted
meteorites. The $70,000 haul comes from the Vaux meteorite collection at
Philadelphia's Academy of Natural Sciences.

Some were collected in the 19th century and have been in deep storage
for 50 years.

"I have a friend in Oregon, he'd kill for this," Ehlmann said, picking
up a polished, blade-shaped piece. "I think I could get $100,000 for it."

The specimen comes from the famed Hoba meteorite in Africa, the heaviest
single mass of space rock yet discovered on Earth, he said. A collector
sliced the sample from the meteorite with an acetylene torch. Access to
the Hoba is now restricted, and samples are highly prized.

The acquisitions are not on display, but Ehlmann will show them to
visitors on request. "They are all extremely rare pieces," he said.
"You're dealing with these things like rare paintings."

TCU rocks

Who collected them?

Department store magnate Oscar Monnig, a dedicated meteorite collector,
left Texas Christian University his meteorite collection and $4.3
million estate for the preservation of the Monnig Meteorite Gallery.

Where: Oscar E. Monnig Meteorite Gallery, 2950 W. Bowie St., Fort Worth,
in the Sid Richardson Science Building on the TCU campus

Hours: 1-4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday; 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Closed on
university holidays

Cost: Free

Information: 817-257-6277; monnigmuseum.tcu.edu