[meteorite-list] AD - New NWA 4734 - unique Lunar Desert Find now available

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 00:32:41 +0200

Dear collectors,

Today we have the pleasure to make available the first slices of the new
lunar Mare Basalt, which is causing since a while a stir likewise among the
specialized collectors and in professional circles
and became known under its current working title as monzogabbro.

NWA 4734 (provisional),
highly shocked lunar gabbro (mare basalt)
Rissani/Erfoud Morocco
Purchased : October 2006 ? February 2007
Tkw ?1439g
?
Under classification at A.Jambon, Paris

http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/special-nwa4734.html

NWA 4734 represents a kind of a mare basalt so far not yet available to the
private collector.
The texture of this lunaite, unlike the so far known Moon rocks from hot
deserts, strongly reminds to that of a shergottite rather than to a Moon
Rock.
The resemblance with the Antarctic LaPaz Icefield 04841 is striking:

LAP 04841
http://kuerzer.de/LAP04841
(Source R.Korotev, Lunar meteorites.
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites.htm )

A sample of NWA 4734 of our material.
http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/lm_nwa4734_2082.jpg
(Courtesy of R.Korotev)

NWA 4734 shows only minor terrestrial weathering, the fusion crust on the
fragments is well preserved.

We are able to offer slices dimensioned for any collector?s budget,
but the amount is limited and a part has been already spoken for.
NWA 4734 is the most uncommon lunaite one can imagine, so far we never got
hold of any comparable material
and certainly NWA 4734 is apt to be a matter of extend studies and
publications to follow.

Best Regards,

Stefan Ralew, Martin Altmann

Chladni?s Heirs
Munich ? Berlin
Fine Meteorites for Science & Collectors