[meteorite-list] Martian Meteorite Heat Ablation?

From: Mark Crawford <mark_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:07:31 +0100

Hey Mike,

It's a thin atmosphere, but Mars does /have/ an atmosphere - it's about
1% the density of Earth's. At the kind of speeds we're talking about, I
don't see why ablation would be a problem. Space probes such as the
ill-fated Beagle 2 use a heatshield for the initial entry prior to
deploying parachutes (or not, in Beagle's case).

What would be interesting is to see the descent curve for a Martian
atmosphere compared to earth - I'd expect to see must shorter dark
flight, for instance. Wonder what that would mean for the temperature
of fresh-fallen Mars meteorites, if anything?

Mark