[meteorite-list] Martian Meteorite Heat Ablation?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:21:36 -0600

But Mars does have an atmosphere. Its surface air density is about the
same as Earth's at a height of 31 km, and far more than the density in
the region of Earth's atmosphere where we typically see meteors.

Presumably, meteors begin burning somewhat lower on Mars, and have a
greater chance of reaching the surface. But meteoroids certainly ablate
as they pass through the Martian atmosphere. On Mars, it really is
likely that a meteorite might be hot when it lands!

BTW, meteors have been recorded by cameras on Mars.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com