[meteorite-list] Nut finds fake meteorite with fake technology!

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 14:32:15 -0500

Hi, Francis, and List

    You might have missed my post on dowsing
machines. The URL's in this paragraph are to sites
where you can buy an Hieronymous Machine (don't
do it!), or build an Hieronymous Machine, and to
the story about how a circuit diagram works just
as well as the physical machine!

> Dowsing is the ancestor of the many failed
> "psychometric" machines, like the famous Hieronymus
> Machine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hieronymus_machine
> Yokum's device is identical to the Hieronymus machine,
> which you can buy for only $600 here:
> http://www.lifetechnology.org/hieronymus.htm
> or build your own from these excellent and detailed plans:
> http://www.wdjensen123.com/hieronymus/Plans.htm
> And, it has been claimed that the Heironymus Machine
> will work perfectly well from a carefully hand-made
> ink-drawing of the plans, as a symbolic device alone:
> http://www.cheniere.org/books/excalibur/another%20kind.htm

    If you Google "Thomas Galen Hieronymous,"
the inventor of the machine (named after him, of
course), you will find interviews with him and
much more. (Or just Galen Hieronymous, or T. G.
Hieronymous... It's not the most common name.)

    John W. Campbell is not only editorially
responsible for modern Science Fiction, but
for a lot of silliness, even dangerous silliness.
He had a strange attraction to the idea that various
psychic forces were real and could be detected
and manipulated by physical machines. In an odd
way, it IS scientific: if you believe certain phenomena
to be real (telepathy, psychokinesis, and such), then
they "must be" mediated by physically real forces,
however unknown for the moment.

    The first half of the 20th century is the hayday
of "scientific" mysticism: Rhine at Duke University
analyzed telepathy statistically; Dunne studied clairvoyance,
spiritualism was studied and physically tested by the
famous physicist Crooke and the author, Conan Doyle.

    But John W. Campbell is responsible for various
disasters: he used his magazine to promote L. Ron
Hubbard's medical and phychological theories under
the name Dianetics, which then turned into Scientology,
and we know how well THAT turned out. He pushed
the Hieronymous Machine very hard for about six months,
but only after long corespondence with and questioning
of T. G. Hieronymous. He was also intense for a time
in promulgating a inertial reaction motor ("The Key To
The Stars"!) called the Dean Drive, before it too didn't
pan out.

    Campbell was also insistent that "his" authors provide
support for his interest in these ideas. Campbell was also
intelligent (physics, MIT) and honest enough to jump
off these ideas when they did not prove to work (although
that was harder for him).

    If you found articles by G. Harry Stine supporting
the Hieronymous Machine, my guess is that they were
written at the time to insure continued publication in
Campbell's magazine!

    It's a hard line to define: if you're too close-minded,
nothing gets in; if you're too open-minded, your brain
falls out!

Sterling K. Webb