[meteorite-list] Family Claims Meteorite Fell In TheirCourtyard inIndia

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:34:00 +0200

Hi Chris,

Some figures:

The museum of the Indian Geological Survey opened in Calcutta in 1856, in
1867 the meteorite collection there already had 247 specimens.

London achieved that number of specimens (250) not before the 1880ies.

Berlin, although they had acquired the collections of Chladni and Klapproth
had in 1864 181 meteorite specimens.

The collection in Moscow owned in 1868 45 specimens.

The Washington collection started in 1870. The meteorite specimens donated
of Smithson were lost in a fire before (has anyone numbers?)

AMNH in New York received its first meteorite in 1872,
The first catalogue published in 1896 lists 55 meteorite specimens.

The Field Museum in Chicago started in 1893 in buying Ward's exhibition from
the World's Columbian Exhibition - 170 specimens.

So I guess, with that tradition, we can fully trust the Indian scientists to
recognize a meteorite :-)

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----