[meteorite-list] What size of stone?

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:00:13 -0600

Hi List
Re: "Even a meteorite of small size can cause a big damage"

I'm not trying to argue with the statement reported in the news
article recently but wonder what would the qualifiers for it be? I'm
sure it's true to a point but... I have some small pieces that
probably would only make a noticeable noise if they hit a metal
roof. You would only hear the ' tink ' sound if you were either in
that building or very close. So how large is large enough either by
weight or size as an approximation to qualify? My definition of "big
damage" is something like: breaking, severely denting, penetrating,
or killing something or someone. I'm guessing something around 35
grams traveling at it's final fall speed could cause serious injury,
dent something pretty good, an even cause death if it hit just
right. Probably wouldn't penetrate much though. Anyone want to
offer up their thoughts on this?

Mike Murray
micro hunter in SW Colorado