[meteorite-list] Family Claims MeteoriteFellInTheirCourtyardinIndia

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:29:19 -0600

I've read what I consider some credible analyses of these types of polls
suggesting that they do not accurately reflect actual beliefs. This is
in part because of the way questions are designed, and in part because
in matters of dogmatic belief, people often answer pollsters in a manner
consistent with what they think they _should_ believe, not necessarily
what they _do_ believe. So I don't particularly trust the numbers in
these polls, even though I do think the actual numbers are far higher
than I'd like!

In any case, I did treat creationism in the U.S. and belief in
homeopathy in Europe as examples where there was public acceptance of
pseudoscience (and in the latter case, institutionally acceptance). I'm
certainly not saying that any country in the world is fully enlightened
scientifically (certainly not the U.S.), only that it is unrealistic to
think that the public and institutional views of science are the same,
or even close to the same, in all countries. They are not.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com