[meteorite-list] FW: CALI COLOMBIA HOUSE SMASHER> Assorted Sizes & Prices!

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:06:52 -0400

I've long thought that Mike Farmer is The Man. What Mike has
accomplished and continues to accomplish is amazing; he is without peer.

The foregoing notwithstanding, what is it about Cali that makes it
worth $4000/g? Is it because it fell in an extremely rough area and
there is a couple hundred grams---of one of the stones? Or is it
because it went through a roof---even though more than one hundred
roofs have been penetrated by cosmic debris? What happens when Mike,
and others who emulate Mike, soon acquire another new common
chondrite that goes through a roof in a similarly rough
neighborhood? Is that worth $4000/g as well? More than 10x the
value of some Martian meteorites? And what if it's a lower-class
roof in Nogales---what's that worth? (And I don't know if many of
you know this, but Peekskill---it's the Wild West up there.)

Some of you may recall when the Moon first came out of the Sahara and
was selling for $25,000/gram, I suggested on this very list that to
pay such a sum would be folly and soon prove insane. Cali has now
entered the realm of the lunar-tics.

Watch out below for a BUY recommendation in a column on Meteorite
Market Trends.

dp