[meteorite-list] Mars atmosphere, aerobraking, and meteorites on Mars

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:19:46 -0400

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 09:15:06 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Perhaps the reason we are seeing so few meteorites on
>Mars

The thing is, we aren't seeing "so few" meteorites on Mars-- we are seeing a
hell of a lot of meteorites on Mars. 5 finds within the easy line of site of a
handful of miles traveled across the surface. If that is typical for the whole
surface of Mars (and no reason to think the two sites are atypically rich) then
that means that across the surface of Mars there must be roughly 1.7 gazillion
meteorites.