[meteorite-list] What's that smell?

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:20:48 EDT

Hi List, About a week ago I posted the list about a meteorite nick named
"Perfect Chondrule" I felt I had to due to the storm created when Steve made a
post about it (the ugly black meteorite). I described some of the
properties that made me feel this material was different.

Well I just spent an afternoon cutting and polishing rocks. I had a pile of
individuals about which I was unsure if they were this material by just
looking on the outside so I cut them. After a few cuts, I could tell if they
were by the smell when the blade dug in. The smell is hard to describe. It's
not like something familiar.

On my gallery I have micrographs.

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-feat_frame.htm

This link is my Gallery hosted by Meteorite Times. If you go to "Features"
and then "Perfect Chondrule" you will see the material in macro (cut and
uncut), close up and microscopic.

Any thoughts? Do I have a carbonaceous here?

Tom