[meteorite-list] Rusting Gujba!

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 13 Aug 2007 20:29:10 UT

Ingo wrote:

I think that the material is very different and
that some pieces are more stable than others!

Hello List,

Yep, same "old" story we've been experiencing over the last 10 years.
Alex Seidel kept telling collectors to beware of Brenham pallasites as
they were rusters. I kept telling our List Community that *my* Brenham
has been stable for more than twenty years now! There are probably
several factors that influence a specimens's stability, among these not
only preparation and preservation but also factors that influenced a
meteorite's stability before it was picked up like exposure to weather,
wind, rain, natural acids in the ground (just think of tektite grooves),
burial depth, moisture, or whether the meteorite comes from "deep"
inside a larger piece where it was protected against degrading effects,
etc., etc.

Bernd