[meteorite-list] Bricks from the Nininger Museum

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:34:07 +0200

I second John?s statement - it is just cleaved sandstone with no uniform "brick structure". Mark Bostick very generously sent me a 700+ g piece for free a couple of years ago, which still sits in my display case here.

While I visited Meteor Crater several times in the past, I unfortunately
never made it to the ruins of Nininger?s museum. It still seems to be forbidden to drive up there, so on the chessboard pattern of land ownership in this area it seems to be private Barringer ground. Is this so? Or is it property of the state of Arizona, yet still prohibited to go up there? What if you go up there and they get you??? Will you be told to just leave more or less friendly, or aren?t they friendly at all and you have to face real fines? P.S.: I know the Barringer policy is quite "tough" at the crater itself...

Alex
Berlin/Germany