[meteorite-list] The Aurigid Meteor Observation Project

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:03:37 -0400

http://www.erasmatazz.com/Aurigid/Aurigid.html

On Friday night/Saturday morning, August 31/September 1, when we will have an
outburst of the Aurigid meteor shower. An outburst is a sudden, short burst of a
lot of meteors. They're very difficult to predict, but the best guess just now
is that there will be about 200 meteors visible per hour at the peak -- but the
peak comes at 4:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time, which means that it won't be
visible from anywhere but the western United States and Hawaii. I have put
together a scheme to permit a multitude of people to participate in a unique
scientific experiment.

What is it?
The Aurigid Project uses the Internet to accomplish something that has never
been done before: combine the observations of thousands of people in order to
build a three-dimensional map of a meteor stream. For all of history, meteors
have been observed by independent observers, giving us an ant's-eye view of the
forest. But with the Internet, the ants can combine their observations and, for
the first time in history, we will be able to see the whole forest at once!

What do I need to participate?
The technology required is trivial: a laptop and a pair of eyeballs. All you do
is watch the meteors and click the mouse whenever you see a meteor. A small Java
applet records the time of your mouseclicks into a file. The next day, you email
that file to us, and we put it into a monster program that combines all the
observations of all the people and builds a satellites-eye-view movie of where
the meteors hit. The results will be available for everybody.

What does it cost?
Absolutely nothing. I don't want your money. This is a community effort
requiring nothing but your own participation.

What do I do?
First, you download the Aurigid program onto your laptop. On meteor night, you
go outside at the right time, lie down, face in the correct direction, turn on
your laptop, and launch the Aurigid program. Whenever you see a meteor, you
click the mouse. Observe meteors for as long as you want. When you're done, quit
the Aurigid program and shut down your laptop. The next day, type your longitude
and latitude into the log file, and email it to us. That's all it takes. Here
are detailed instructions.

Do I get anything in return?
The only thing you get out of this is the fun of participating in a community
effort that constitutes real scientific research. I'll credit you for your
contribution.

Where can I learn more?
You can find full information on the Aurigid outburst here.