[meteorite-list] The impactite bed

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:36:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ross -

I guess you missed the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1GCgOI3B1o

The black impactite layer is pretty amazing - I never
expected it to be that dense or clearly obvious to the
naked eye - my guess is that it extends throughout
other sandstone formations in the region -

The only KT impactite samples that I have seen were at
the Smithsonian, and came from the deep sea bed. But
we've all seen the impactite layers from Italy that
the Alvarez's sampled.

I don't know of any exposed Chesapeake Bay impactite
layers, but...

good hunting,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas