[meteorite-list] Ancient bacteria could point to life on Mars

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:55:11 +0100

Hi Sterling,

Indeed, yes it would be nice to find Martian life! - though I always go
back to the great ALH8... saga - front page news around the world, then
two days later everyone went back to watching the football! So I doubt
that finding alien life would actually resonate very much with most of
mankind after a few weeks. I my experience most people seem to be immune
from getting very enthusiastic about very much these days!!! I certainly
don't think it would change the human paradigm! 3/4 of the population of
Earth wouldn't believe us anyway...

I also have major doubts that they will ever find any truly native
Martian life anyway, ok They have superficial found traces of liquid
water/vapor flows , but whoopee doos, the moon has traces of water! This
is not the same as vast oceans of warm stable water over many millions
of years..

Of course it doesn't mean we shouldn't look. But sadly I think years
from now we will have ended up colonizing (if we haven't already!) Mars
with Earth based bacteria, then it will be next to impossible to tell
for sure in any case. I am afraid the probe sterilization techniques
used are way not good enough, I <know> there are parts of those
spacecraft which couldn't be 100% sterilised... ;)

Best
Mark Ford