[meteorite-list] Meteorite Questions

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:00:29 -0700 (PDT)

Meteor Crater is pretty much square. I believe
weathering has a lot to do with it. Even a desert gets
a fair bit of rain in 50,000 years.
I think I read that the original crater has been half
filled with weathered material though why it would be
square following this is anyones guess. Why not (?) ,
I suppose. Prevailing winds and stuff, maybe.

Yes Tatahouine is a rather fetching green. I never
questioned why, when my other diogenite slice look
yellow. I put it down to slice vs stone and a general
variability of rock. Maybe it's a special case. I have
a chunk of NWA1877 (olivine diogenite) and thats not
green at all. Again, yellow...with browny bits.

Diogenites are made from hypersthene (an
orthopyroxene) not olivine. This doesn't answer why
some are green and others are yellow, though.

Only terrestrial olivine tends to look
green(Encyclopaedia of Meteorites). The crystals in
pallasites are olivine but they're yellow to black.
Maybe there's a green one. I suspect there may be but
don't know of it.

Definition Meteoroid: A solid object moving in
interplanetary space, of a size considerably smaller
than a asteroid and considerably larger than an atom
or molecule
www.space.com/spacewatch/meteor_forecast.html

Since they're all likely to be of similar size,
usually from a comet, they are effected in the same
way by all the different forces. (gravitational
pertubations, sunlight which pushes them out, that
"wierd thing" - where they move inward due to rotation
and some quantum effect which has a name which is
wierd to someone who speaks english but I suspect is
something italian, probably the blokes name- , and
time.

Meteor showers, of course come from these groups but
they occur every year rather than just when the comet
is here because of the spreading out you mentioned
with SL9. When they break off from the main body some
go in and some go out but not far enough to form
discrete orbits, they stay with the pack, so-to-speak.
the ones on the inside track orbit faster than the
ones on the outside track so the particles eventually
become spread out over the entire cometary orbit. Why
the perseids have a 33year peak, where a load of stuff
seems to be clumped together , I don't know.

Speaking of I don't know, I will leave the rest for
that reason.

Ciao

Rob McC