[meteorite-list] Meteorite Questions

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:43:00 -0500

Hi, All,

    This is the notion of "meteoroid streams" (as opposed
to the "meteor streams" of a comet. Meteoroid streams would
have an asteroidal origin. This idea was a big back-and-forth
controversy in the XIXth century. One problem is that the term
"meteoroid streams" is now being used for both cometary
AND asteroidal streams. Sloppy usage.

    There ARE asteroidal non-cometary meteoroid streams:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2007/pdf/2038.pdf
and of course there could be many more if they are composed
of objects too small to be easily detected (yet).

    Venus has a convergence of both kind of streams, so
apparently Venus gets plenty of meteorites (if they can survive
the hellacious trip through its atmosphere... I don't think so.)
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/mnr/1998/00000294/00000002/art00009

    There are nine "cometary" meteoroid streams that are
actually associated with an asteroid instead of a comet,
unless of course, that asteroid is a "dead" comet... The
best known of the nine is the Geminids and the asteroid
3200 Phaethon.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/klu/moon/2005/00000095/F0040001/00002243

    A chemical argument that H chondrites come from "meteoroid
streams" and that they can be grouped by what "stream" they
come from and that the composition of streams changes only
very slowly over time:
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/1997/97JE00137.shtml

    Obviously, no gravitational influence great enough to separate
two adjacent rocks in a short period of time could exist for a
"meteoroid stream," or pretty soon --- No Stream! The key to
having meteoroid streams at all is that the Universe leaves them
alone and does not mess with them...

Sterling K. Webb