[meteorite-list] Ancient Sudbury Meteorite Blasted Debris Into Michigan

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:40:28 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List Members,
  Here is an abstract of an additional recent paper by
the same investigator published on the Sudbury impact.
  The abstract mentions tektites were found.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-08/gsoa-sga082807.php

Physical and chemical evidence of the 1850 Ma Sudbury
impact event in the Baraga Group, Michigan
Peir K. Pufahl, Acadia University, Earth and
Environmental Science, Wolfville, Nova Scotia B4P 2R6,
Canada; et al. Pages 827-830.

A catastrophic extraterrestrial impact 1850 million
years ago produced the Sudbury crater, the second
largest known impact site on Earth. Pufahl et al.?s
discovery of debris in northern Michigan, USA,
produced from this impact has provided new information
regarding the nature of this event. A prominent
iridium anomaly in impact-generated tsunami deposits
containing shocked quartz, spherules, tektites, and
accretionary lapilli demonstrate that the
extraterrestrial body was a meteorite and not a comet,
as previously proposed. The Sudbury event was larger
than those responsible for later major extinction
events, and may prove important in the evolution of
early life on Earth.

Best Regards, Dirk Ross...Tokyo

http://www.amherstdaily.com/index.cfm?sid=58282&sc=58