[meteorite-list] Philippe Thomas' NWA 4460 Thin Section (1 left on EBAY)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 10 Dec 2007 19:39:40 UT

Hello List, Chondrule and Thin Section Afficionados,

Last Thursday I wrote: "Can you see this hungry little porphyritic
'sibling' bug that's eating itself into its large POP neighbor in thin
section #16 of NWA 4460?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360002687517&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:DE:31

I also wrote that I would soon own three NWA 4460 (L3.9) thin sections.
The two TS I purchased last week arrived today and what I beheld when
I had my first curious peek through my stereo microscope, surely blew my
socks off. There are presently 131 thin sections in my collection and some
have lots of gorgeous chondrules but these NWA 4460 thin sections will
surely belong to my favorite ones for a long time to come!

This POP chondrule in #16 measures a whopping 5.5 mm - one of the largest
I have ever seen in an ordinary chondrite - and there are even two of these
sibling chondrules attacking their larger brother: one in the lower right
quadrant, the other in the upper left part Philippe's picture).

NWA 4460 is unusually rich in such porphyritic chondrules but there are
also beautiful textbook examples of radiating pyroxene chondrules which
nicely demonstrate undulose extinction when you rotate your thin section!

Philippe, thank you so much, merci beaucoup, for these beautiful thin sections!

Best pre-Xmas
Wishes,

Bernd

To: Meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com