[meteorite-list] Mammoths Found Peppered with Meteorite Fragments

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:26:58 -0400

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:30:26 -0600, you wrote:

>Well, I knew we were going to get back to those
>mammoth teeth... How about the history of the
>whole crazy thing? Who is Richard B. Firestone?

I thought this sounded like the same song, different day! Anyway, his fitting
the "fragged tusks" data into his 13kbp "event" theory are blown away by one
little problem:

"But having gone out and tested the hypothesis of tusk impacts, and
having apparently uncovered such items - the team was then astonished to
find the animal remains were about 20,000 years older than had been
anticipated."

But no problem!:

"Maybe, these were tusks from dead animals that were just exposed on the
surface, so when this thing blew up in the atmosphere, it would have
peppered them. The date could really be anywhere from 13,000 to
35-40,000 years ago."

(That sound you heard was joints popping from r-e-a-c-h-i-n-g for that
possibility).

Yet:

"In the case of the bison, we know that it survived the impact because
there's new bone growth around these marks."