[meteorite-list] Fireball

From: Peter A Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:35:03 -0600

Hello list,
Does anyone have any info on a fireball breaking up over the Arizona-New
Mexico
border moving from North to South in 1985 or maybe early 1986. It was just
North
of Inerstate 10 more to the Arizona side of the border. I saw this but did
not make
any notes of the day or time, except that I saw it at night, probably before
midnight.
It was at least 22 years from then to the time I got my first meteorite and
thus getting
bitten by the COLLECTING BUG. It was very large with several smaller streaks
very close to the main ball. If you think back to the breakup of the
Columbia Shuttle
and the video of it as it broke up over Texas. It was almost the same, but
at night.
I seem to recolect that there was noise, but more like a rumble than a sonic
boom,
which is a sharp, sudden boom.
Every car and truck in sight was on the side of the road looking at it. It
was awesome,
but it has haunted me thatI didn't record any info.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Pete