[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:05:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

1) From the descriptions, the spherules in the tusks
appear to be the result of the condensation of iron
plasma, the same as at Barringer crater.

2) When Nininger did his survey of spherules at
Barringer crater, I doubt if he looked several hundred
miles away from the crater - that's what I think of as
a ballistic re-entry. The internet site for this
impact has been greatly improved, and I'm sure that
some here must have been active in that.

I don't know about winds at the time of Barringer
impact, but I can't remember any statement as to angle
of impact. But then I can't remember many things
anymore.

3) I have no idea what the spherules' temperatures
were when they landed - but my guess is that they must
have been too high to use any type of barrel to
duplicate their hitting the bones. My guess is that
magnetic suspension and acceleration would be about
it.

4) As far as locating the 31,000 BCE crater goes, its
possible that the situation might be similar to the
K-T crater - that one took 10 years to find. Same
goes for impact point(s) for the 10,900 BCE event. If
you look at impact crater distribution maps, you'll
see that more have been found in the areas where
geologists live.

good hunting,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas