[meteorite-list] Fw: New Issue: Lunar meteorite Kalahari 009

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:09:20 -0800 (PST)

It is too bad that Kalahari 009 was never officially
weighed before it was cut. It seems that the anonymous
owner could have at least given this record-breaking
stone the dignity of a certified weigh-in. Using the
term "about" 13.5 kilograms will never hold water in
the record books and history will reflect on this
poorly! It seems something as important as a lunar
rock should at the very least be weighed accurately. I
have the same issue with NWA 032 which is recorded
~300 grams. Why all these even figures? Can't the
owners afford or borrow a calibrated scale?

Official quote from the Meteortical Bulletin:

A single stone of about 13.5 kg was found in September
1999 by an anonymous finder in front of a sand dune
within the Kalahari desert, roughly 50 m apart from
Kalahari 008.

Best Regards,

Adam

http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Dec07/cryptomareSample.html