[meteorite-list] More on Greg Hupé's gorgeous NWA 4883 eucrite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2007 19:50:21 UT

Michael M. wrote: "Any chance you might share a pic or two? Sounds interesting."

Hello Michael and List,

Greg already did so some days ago, on Thu, Dec 13 - see below.

Oh, and while we are at it: Meanwhile I noticed that this "cosmic spider web" is not
limited to the cut surface of my endcut but that it is ubiquitous all over the weathered
dark-brown crust...a very strange phenomenon indeed!

And another really odd feature in(!) the crust of my endcut of NWA 4883 is something
that Greg also mentioned in his description on EBay: "prominent clearish 'crystals' that
seem to pop out all over the exterior of the stone".

Here's Greg's post and his links once again:

Dear List and Maskelynite-rich eucrite lovers,

In my busy week, and after writing the description for my new Maskelynite-
rich Polymict Breccia Eucrite, NWA 4883, I forgot I had earlier taken some
very close-up photos of interesting features on a slice. Here they are and
worth a look:

NWA 4883 Images from a polished slice, magnification level indicated on
lower left of photos:

Possible vesicle or where metal has eroded away:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4883/nwa4883ves.jpg

Close-up of a eucritic clast next to matrix, interesting crystal structure:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4883/nwa4883mag1.jpg

High resolution of a different eucritic clast:
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4883/nwa4883mag2.jpg

General matrix, could spend days exploring under a microscope!
http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4883/nwa4883mag3.jpg

Enjoy!
Greg