[meteorite-list] Typical large meteoroid entry angle

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:39:01 -0600

Hi, Rob, Jason, List,

I meant angles to be referenced to the horizon.
Zenith = 90 degrees; Horizon = 0 degrees.

I also mean a local polar coordinate system with
0, 0 at ground level, crater center. Probably a flat
Earth too, while we're at it. "If it was good enough
for..."

Rob, I'm assuming here that the degeneracy you're
referring to is "areal" or should that be "area-al"?
You divvy the sky up into patches of equal area
rather than "square degrees" (which start out large
and almost-square trapedezoids at the horizon and
end up as tiny elongated triangles at the pole), and
assign an equal probability to each equal area. Hmm...
Just discovered there's a word for that: "symptetic."
Never did find "area-al" or "areal;" too confusing
to use, I imagine.

For those not annoyed but intrigued by symptetic
maps, go to this URL and look at Jupiter:
http://www.physics.drexel.edu/~goldberg/projections/
Or see all the different ways of trying to preserve
areas (or distance) here (applet requires Java):
http://www.btinternet.com/~se16/js/tissot.htm

Rob wrote:

> this is a common misconception...

Every physicist I ever knew does it. I pulled out
my favorite textbook, 783 pages, 1995, on the solar
system by a man that I took courses from... well,
never mind how long ago. Right there, 45 degrees
is described as the "average" incidence of meteoroids
and later it's called "typical," more of an intuition
than an assertion, but he always uses 45 degrees;
everybody does.

I even said that to Jason in my Post -- "That's what
everybody does." And that is a true statement; it IS
what physicists do, just like we generalize everything
to the spherical case. But it's obviously dead wrong,
once you think about it. The problem is... you never
think about it! I even went and did a proof to be
certain.

This has been my religious moment for the day.

Sterling K. Webb