[meteorite-list] Mars Attacks

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:06:06 -0600

Greg wrote:

"Lets say for conversation sake that the asteroid does hit Mars. Would there
be a "Rover Extinction", and if so, should we name it "Rover Ratatouille",
keeping in line with the recent "Mammoth Stew" thread?"

I bet most of us have been over-gorged and over-stuffed on Mammoth stew. As
for the Rover Ratatouille after the possible impact on Mars, the effects of
Opportunity's knockings are unknown and who knows whether Spirit lives?

"On a more serious side, lets say that the asteroid does hit, when would the
next closest Earth/Mars orbit paths be, and would it be close enough for
earth's gravity to pull in some Martian debris? If that did happen, I am
ready for my bowl of "Chassigny Casserole"! ;-)"

The next approach closer than the exciting one the list was abuzz about in
2003 won't be for another 280 years, though the July 2018 won't be too bad.
But, as a consolation, Mars will be at close approach and highest in the sky
precisely at around Christmas Eve as it turns into midnight Christmas Day,
next week. We should expect reports of RUDOLPH sightings across the world
from Happy Children sneaking peeks out the window and see him passing
additionally right next to the Full Moon! Definitely the year for Lunar and
Martian gifts!!!

Best wishes and Life,
Doug