[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew - let leg simmer on fire in skin

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:39:44 -0800

E.P., All,

> >To be perfectly frank, I've had enough of you, but I
> >do like getting the last word in, so here you go.
>
> Why do I have this feeling that this will not be the
> last word we hear from Jason?

Probably because we've not seen the last of you either; you're doing
the same thing ;)

> >Notice how no one else is agreeing with you.
>
> Yeah, I noticed that Sterling and a few others have
> already responded to Jason's multiple misconceptions
> about impact processes, but Jason seems to have
> fixated on me. Now if he only had tits...

Sterling and I have come to a sort of agreement, in case you've missed
it, but I really included the gist of it in my last email - in any
case, it should be below, if you included my entire post in your
response.
Damn straight - I'm so hot even middle-aged guys wish I had tits.
Hmmm, this is getting awkward....

> >At least everyone else can see what a fool you're
> >making of yourself...
>
> Apparently Jason has not bothered to consider the
> alternative hypothesis that it might be the other way
> around.

Well I've had a few messages of support from list members as well as
an email from a world-renowned expert on meteorites, stating that I
was being "too generous" with my critiques, so I think you're mistaken
here - as much as elsewhere.
Go read Darren's post if you don't believe me.

> >The only person in denial here is you, who refuses to
> >accept the fact that he can't possibly know with any
> >certainty what sort of cosmic cataclysms caused
> either >dust layer.
>
> Apparently Jason ignored the Native American's
> memories of the Holocene Start Impacts which I posted
> here a while back.

Ahhh, right. You go believe that. Darren's post sums up just about
everyone else's opinion of that as well.
Legends are not science. They tend to have somewhat historical roots,
but we're talking about science here, not a picture book about native
american storytelling.

> And in this post, Jason once again demonstrates his
> complete inability to differentiate between the
> holocene start impacts and the mammoth pepperer.
>
> >What you have is a lack of proof for any known impact
> >process, and you seem to want to attribute that to an
> >airburst. In science, we just don't do that.
>
> In science, we don't mistate evidence in order to
> invalidate a hypothesis; we also don't mistate
> hyposthesis in order to invalidate them.

You're not saying anything here. The point is that you have no
evidence. No evidence =/= airburst. It doesn't matter what you say
if there's nothing behind it.
You keep saying that you have evidence for an airburst; what is your
definitive evidence? By all means, tell us all right now...

> Why is Jason reading what he wants to believe, instead
> of what is actually written? Denial.

Well, besides that fact that I've come to understand that what you
write tends to be quite akin in quality (scientifically speaking) to
the children's book rather aptly named 'Cloudy With a Chance of
Meatballs,' I think you're going to find it hard to get me to believe
much of what you say - especially when the sole things that my beliefs
are grounded in are logic, the laws of science, and mathematics.

> > Which means that you expect a large, thirty-thousand
> > year old crater to exist somewhere on the continent.
>
> Sterling gave Jason a few minutes of his time and went
> through ice impact with him, but that seems to have
> gone in one of Jason's ears and out the other, with
> nothing there to stop it.

I have acknowledged multiple times that I see the ice impact as a (an
albeit unlikely) possible explanation for the geologic evidence that
has been found.
You accuse me of misinterpreting what you wrote; why don't you try
reading the emails that I've sent you to begin with? I repeatedly
state that the ice impact is a possibility - you're the one who
expected to find a crater given the evidence already discovered.

You failed to include above the quote that clearly stated that you
believed that a crater exists to be found. Maybe you've changed your
point of view; I don't know, but you clearly stated that you believed
that a crater exists to be found.

That said, as no definitive evidence for an ice impact has been found,
it is impossible to state that this is without a doubt what caused the
layer of dust/extinctions. There may or may not be any definitive
evidence to find, but we're talking about science here, not religion.
Just because we don't have a solid explanation yet doesn't mean that a
particular one of the countless possibilities that could explain it
(however likely it is to have generated the effects seen) is certainly
the right one.

> >I can calculate KE, and am taking calculus, as well
> as >Physics B.
>
> Some teachers out there have my deepest condolences.

Haha, right - interesting how you cut out the rest of what I said and
moved on.
You might try gaining some credibility by saying something about your
own self, if there's anything there that might raise anyone's already
subterranean opinion of your personage.

Now that we've established that I know more about the dynamics of an
impact and meteoritics in general, I really don't see how you can
honestly persist in your ramblings.

> >Either you don't know what you're talking about or
> >you're simply trying to piss me off with your
> >ridiculous and unfounded claims.
>
> Denial manifest. More to come later, I'm sure, along
> with some observations on paradigm shift.

"Denial manifest." I like that - sounds like something made up on the spot.

And I love how you exorcised the part in which you clearly stated that
comets have iron cores, which acted as nuclei to the forming comets or
which subsequently formed due to differentiation.

You're an interesting fellow - every time you're proven wrong you just
move on to the next thing, attacking what I say, and cutting loose the
parts that don't help you out.
I, at least, include everything in my rebuttals. It's the only way to
learn anything, you know. Otherwise you just wind up with nothing
more than straw arguments. . . . . . . . .

Oh - and I will admit; I'll perpetuate this damn thread as long as you
agree to do the same by posting a reply. The only trouble with your
accusing me of trying to get the last word in is that it takes two to
dance the dance - if one can find a suitable partner ;)
Jason