[meteorite-list] Don't miss this: Lunar "Collision" with Mars

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:54:04 -0600

Hola Listees,

A couple of you asked me about the Rudolph comment I made for Christmas Eve
sight involving Mars. It is fairly well covered in some places, but I
thought it wouild be a good idea to post it for us. What could be better
for Christmas than a Lunar collision with Mars??? That's exactly what will
happen in the celestial sphere for some lucky earthlings.

Basically we have a situation of a Full Moon which will brush Mars to within
a single Lunar diameter if you catch it right on the night of December
23/24. That's just one night and it is the night before Christmas Eve - NOT
Christmas Eve. Still, on Christmas Eve, the Moon and Mars will be within a
Lunar diameter or two (CLOSE!) and a sight to behold.

As a matter of fact, certain list members will be able to see the Moon
occult (="eclipse") Mars, from NW Oregon, Washington State, Alaska, BC,
Alberta, N. Scotland, Northern and Central Europe to the Northern Near East.

Those living near the "edge" of visibility will clearly see the Moon get a
RED NOSE on the night before Christmas Eve. Must be Rudolph gathering all
those Lunars for Santa...(Not only that - if you really know what you are
doing you can watch Mars dim and brighten as it grazes the Lunar topography
along the "grazing path" (usually a few kilometers wide) from Earth's
viewpoint.

Considering Mars just happens to be at opposition on the same day - i.e., as
close as it gets every two years plus, Mars will be uncharacteristically
bright, which you can go out and confirm right now, even under the bright
Moonlight. Really it is a special astronomical event not to miss.

The following are great Maps of (1) Europe and (2) North America showing the
line of the grazing touch, and to the North of that line there will be
occultation. To the South a great proximity show. I've also prepared a
table for some key cities in LOCAL TIME below to save you the trouble of
looking for the information on the reference link below the times.. For
those comfortable with Universal (London) time, the event happens between
1:30 AM and 3:00 AM on the morning of December 24 in North America and
between 3:00 AM and 4:30 AM on the morning of Deember 24 in Europe. Those
are rough times and you need to know it precisly if you want to see the
movie well. Other references to read more follow the LOCAL times.

Grazing paths:
(All Europe and near east)
http://www.dangl.at/maps/2007/gr071224/g071224e.htm

(North America)