[meteorite-list] ARCTIC IRONS, was Mammoth Stew, etc

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 18:46:07 -0600

Hi, Jason, List,

> I would dispute this claim [NWA depletion]
> ... irons compose ~1.8 percent of finds...

    NWA iron finds are 0.2% in contrast to Antarctica's
1.8%. Sounds "depleted" (89% depletion) to me. That
the Antarctic iron find percentage is "typical" of the planet
is not so absolutely clear cut. Take your pick:

"First, the very strongest meteorite type, metallic iron,
makes up only about 3 percent of the falls, but at least
30 percent of the finds..." -- John S. Lewis, UofAZ
http://books.google.com/books?id=k9hwi3ktye8C&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=meteorite+irons+percent+of+finds&source=web&ots=ph81fSImWj&sig=I4xsgM6wBgZ5sgXhOn34Tbi15h0

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/faqf.html
says 2% of falls and 28% of finds...

http://earthsci.org/fossils/space/craters/met/met.html
"5.7 percent of meteorite falls are irons."

http://wapi.isu.edu/geo_pgt/Mod05_Meteorites_Ast/mod5.htm
"only about 3 percent of all observed falls are irons"

http://www.niger-meteorite-recon.de/en/story4.htm
"The ratio of iron meteorites compared with the
total number of falls is around 4 percent. As a
matter of fact the fraction of irons compared to
the total number of meteorites recovered from the
African deserts is only 0.2 percent. Until today
the enigmatic missing of the desert irons is an
unsolved question. Provided that the pre-Islamic
inhabitants of the Sahara, like their northern European
contemporaries, collected and traded meteoritic
iron as a raw material over longer periods then
one has an indication for the loss of these irons.
For in the region of the Air Mountains the first
iron arrow- and harpoon points are documented
as early as 2,400 B.C.. Thus there is a period of
more than 4,000 years until today in which the
early nomads could have harvested the meteoritic
iron from its deposits."

The American Meteor Society FAQ, posted on
http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/ccc/cc062398.html
by Ron Baalke:
"Meteoroids of asteroid origin make up only a small
percentage (about 5%) of the overall meteoroid
population, which is primarily cometary in nature."
Note that this is "meteoroid," not "meteorite."

http://books.google.com/books?id=DIppUb33M8UC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=meteorite+irons+percent+of+finds&source=web&ots=qIif2Elw5U&sig=wd3x_-gSl6QYgrDyDTZIsTAFekg#PPA24,M1
claims the percentage of iron finds is greater
in the Western Hemisphere. E. J. Opik's
"Physics of Meteor Flight in the Atmosphere."
Tennesse is a good example of the phenomenon.

Since we know that irons are preferrentially removed
by man over historic time periods, it is hard to explain
any percentage higher than Antarctica's "pristine" and
ungathered 1.8%. Preferential removal should LOWER
the percentage, not raise it.

    It may be that irons are harder to spot in Antarctic
glaciated "Blue Ice" environments than stones, or it may
be that since all Antarctic meteorites are discovered as
a result of a complicated ice-flow and wind-esposure
transport interaction that the more dense irons do not
"transport" as well, or it may be that Antarctica is
"depleted" in irons for some reason no one's thought
of yet.

Sterling K. Webb