[meteorite-list] ARCTIC IRON, THEORIES, FACTS, AND MATHEMATICAL MODELS

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:52:17 -0600

Hi, Larry, List,

    That is exactly what the online impact calculator shows!
The impactor "arrives in a broken condition." But the fragments
do not spread enough to achieve a footprint bigger than the
crater that results from the impact.

    There is a subroutine to calculate the dispersal of fragments
impacting the ground, but it does not "kick in" in the examples
I ended up with, although I saw it in "unsuccessful" attempts
to copy-cat Canyon Diablo (the beginning of one trail of
parameters that lead to Campo del Cielo).

    If there are a few milliseconds where a number of cratering
events begin, I suspect that shortly they coalesce into a single
event. Although now that question has been raised, I wonder
if the not-quite circular shape of the crater should be attributed
to a "distributed" energetic event rather than one having a single
focus.

    The usual explanation -- at least the one I've heard -- is that
the orientation of the strata of the country rock "forced" this
non-circularity on the explosion. But even though the impact
of slightly separated portions of the impactor would produce
a single crater, it might betray traces of multiple "foci," like
a slightly squared off crater.

Sterling K. Webb