[meteorite-list] Article on artificial meteorites

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:39:54 -0600

Hi, Darren, List,

    In thinking about the "likelihood" of organisms
from one planet gaining a foothold on another planet,
there is one very obvious point in game-theory that is
being ignored here.

    Let's say some evil force is determined to kill you.
You foil each and every assassin they send against you,
but they have an endless supply of fanatical attackers.
To live, you have to be successful EVERY time; they
only have to be successful ONCE.

    Whether it's a case of bringing life to a lifeless world,
or bringing a new form of life well-suited to expansion
onto a world that already has lifeforms, the "invader"
only has to succeed ONCE. And if the introduced
lifeform is NOT well-suited to expand on the world it
"invades," then no number of "invasions" will succeed.

    Since you can never demonstrate a ZERO potential of
biotic transfer, you can never prove its impossibility, for the
simple reason that it need only happen ONCE to change
an entire world.

    "Reasoning" on the basis of what is reasonable is always
risky. For example, it was obvious that, after a half billion years
of the evolution of land animals, the 170 million year dominance
of the dinosauria would eventually lead to intelligent life. It was
the only reasonable thing. ONE little accident, that's all, just ONE,
and we're starting over again, with nothing more promising than
tree rats.

    It's a hell of a thing.

Sterling K. Webb