[meteorite-list] Neutron and proton release in large hyper-velocity impacts

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:02:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

I'm sorrry, but with my stroke damage I can't do the
maths on this anymore, but I can help to define the
problem space here.

The first step is to take the INTCAL98 calibration
chart and try to figure out how much C14 was actually
produced by the Canyon Diablo impactor.

Does Canyon Diablo contain any or much C14? If so,
subtract that amount.

The resulting number can then be used to estimate
neutron flow.

Working back, we have pretty good rough estimates of
the iron impactor and its speed. So that in turn
defines some kind of rough relationship.

If hypervelocity impacts are freeing up neutrons and
protons, then this may affect a number of isotopic
data from meteorites...

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas