[meteorite-list] Neutron and Protonproductioninhyper-velocityimpacts

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:39:04 -0600

Hey Sterling and friends,

"When all you own is a hammer, every problem starts looking like a nail."
(=>when all you have is an impact...)
...Abraham Maslow

I enjoyed your post, very entertaining and in that friendly style.

However, I originally didn't respond because your reply was a moving
target - you buried the original question without saying grace. Soin
replying, do I just let your friendly neurons take me on a neutron joyride?
I found the reply inconsistent and a bit wandery. Let me explain why: I
attempted to mothball this neutron assertation until a respectable
scientific view was presented, rather, than just "brain gas" (as you
appropriately said), which is now running well below the empty mark.
Apologies to EP for calling the "hypothesis" an assertation, but until it
can be made testable, I hope he will agree that is all it is.

Replies to your comments:

Look, the question here was where do these unidentified flying neutrons come
from in EP's assertation. It's not, "let's assume we have a neutron - if we
do, it can cool down to low energy". Please don't assume the conclusion and
create a circular logic and then fall off on many tangents...thought
tangents are invariably more interesting. In other words, no carts before
the horse.

OK, let's work it your way: "But the amount is small.". If these guys can
do this:
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v83/i1/p18_1
Why can't someone bring a geiger or scintillation counter around Ca?on
Diablo and drive a scientific stake into the heart of this idea? You know
how atoms are in a kilogram? Say 50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 or some
other incontemplatable number. And to think a geiger counter responds when
just one of them breaks down...

Sterling - it is a nuclear reaction to produce neutrons in our neighborhood
under the parameters given and you know that. If you give him the benefit
of the doubt and say it can come from the surface collision, then you have
some serious experiments to do instead of delegating it to the "never can be
proven but sounds good" category:

(1) look at 235-Uranium / 238Uranium ratios,
(2) look for 10-Berylium, etc.,

for the most part, smashed deep into all kinds of solid byproducts, and not
just percolating thermally (i.e. at a comfortable 25 degrees C when the
Nitrogen conversion happens) freely in the sky. So however you want to slow
those neutrons down, don't forget they are begin life hot and jack-centered
in a lot of earth besides whatever the air-plasma above them turns into, not
playing upper atmosphere pinball. Reactions in such plasmas are gonna be
anything except kind and gentle. It's a lot of energy to dissipate and a
long and winding random walk through the ground first to loose enough energy
to get in the range needed for C-14 production. Anything capable of
consuming or releasing nuclear energy is going to be at ground zero first
and when they start out at these reputed gamma wave energies, they will be
pumping into the ground the brunt of the high energy particles -nuclear
energy-, before they lazily mosied up into the atmosphere like innocent dust
particles and feathers on a nice day (and if they are thermal neutrons, then
you had better be able to demonstrate something like Uranium isotope
distribution changes.

-Reject completely the hypothesis of neutron production during the
incandescent path for the explanations posted by Chris and yours truly.

-Fully accept your statement that "EP's linking atmospheric 14-C as the
marker for impacts, rather than as an extinctorer." We agree that you think
you know what is being talked about, and I take your word since I still
don't, but your justification sounds as plausible as it gets.

-Find inconsistent that: you spend the first part of your post convincing me
that these are kind and gentle neutrons floating about producing 14-C, and
then turn around and say that neutrons produces in violent collisions in
50,000 degree high energy plasmas - and yes, I understand how they are
damped when they come in from space and play pinball down to the
troposphere. A single high energy particle in a cubic meter is quite
different from a Chicxulub-Diablo ground impact. Different animal - let's
not stray.

-Think you're fine in believing: "I proposed that supernovae dust infall may
explain the isotope digressions", OK....because the textbook limitation of
14-C dating discusses the problem posed by variable cosmic ray flux over
time. And the same textbook tells us that cosmic rays are from supernova,
black holes and neutron stars. However ... errr, dust ?...not really, when
dealing with 14-C, which is the impact assertation being discussed...you are
wandering into more flowery meadows and leaving EP's assertation behind
without its day in court.
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v83/i1/p18_1

-Think you are barking up the wrong tree expecting that a big source of 14-C
could be big impactors in recent pre-history. Remember, meteorites are not
radioactive above normal trace amounts or we collectors wouldn't be so smug
about handling them. In space they are not being hit at a too much greater
frequency of cosmic ray impacts in space as Earth itself. Say: 5 times the
live earth rate of 14-C as a maximum, and 10x's a stretch. Assuming they
have the optimal composition of oxygen and nitrogen it is hard to see how
they could have more than 10x the level. But ONLY to a depth of about 2-3
feet! How big was your impactor and 5000 tons of 14-C after you subtracted
everything under the half meter rind? Most Importantly: meteoroids don't
accumulate 14-C: they level off just like Earth. 14-C is radioactive and
decays in space too. How radioactive are Moon rocks and Mars Rocks compared
to organic earth? Please don't take this as homework - unless I'm wrong,
and if so, tell me so..

Best wishes and Great Health,
Doug