[meteorite-list] Etching Iron Meteorites

From: Drake <Monel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 05:06:13 -0500

You must have misread my post. I did not say high carbon steels had
Widmanstatten structures. To the contrary, the alloys I listed do not
have any carbon at all. The only steel I listed was HSLA and I mentioned
that it is difficult to get Widmanstatten patterns in them.

Pearlite is not the same as Widmanstatten, nor is martensite or bainite.
Pearlite is a structure made of iron and iron carbide and only found in
heat treated steels with carbon contents over 0.20% by weight.

To confirm this, all you need to do is ask a professional metallurgist,
but then that?s what I am.

Drake

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Drake "Doc" Damer?u