[meteorite-list] The New Jersey Object

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:58:02 -0600

Hi, Jeff,

> drag the image to the URL address bar...

    Thanks for what is, to me, a new trick. Works
fine and makes the pictures big enough and clear
enough to see the surface features, which makes
it clear that the chances this is a meteorite very
small indeed.
    For example, it seems that the edges of those
depressions that might be regmaglypts are very
sharp. Atmospheric ablation never produces a
sharp edge anywhere and never around a
depression it's ablating out.
    There are "parallel" grooves, but they're
oriented in patches which show no general
orientation to each other. Some adjacent sets
of grooves met at right angles to each other.
There's one double groove that makes an
angled turn!
    The Universe is surprising, but for this to
be a real meteorite is too much of a surprise
to ask for.

Sterling K. Webb