[meteorite-list] Space station moves to avoid debris

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 07:22:36 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone know more about the 'anti-meteorite
> system' that protects the ISS from being
> struck? 'Shields Up Scotty!'

I believe it's as simple as a couple of layers of
baking foil mounted over the main body of the station.
The foil and impactor are vaporised by the impact and
the vapour cannot penetrate do damage to the
habitation modules. I believe the whole skin of the
lunar module was a similar design. As were the shields
for the spacecraft passing through the comas of
comets. Several thin layers works much better than one
big one. It's also lighter, ergo cheaper

RMcC