[meteorite-list] Space station moves to avoid debris

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:38:42 -0500

I'm "shocked" that such a "meager" device can successfully protect against
high velocity impacts from debris? Why does it vaporize and not continue
through?
The gel in the Stardust collector showed particles penetrating several
millimeters into the material.
I see that the gel and the foil are different materials, the former meant to
collect but a centimeter sized particle traveling at those speeds??
Help.
Jerry Flaherty