[meteorite-list] auction terminology

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 18:50:31 -0500

folks,

i've got to briefly weigh-in here:

auction terms are being bandied about incorrectly, and it would be
helpful to all concerned to use the correct terminology so as to not
create further confusion:

the hammer price is what a consignment sells for---irrespective of
whether it happens to be a live, absentee or phone bid.

the hammer price is announced at the conclusion of a successful
sale---that is, when a consignment exceeds the reserve. (there are
no winning bids...there are successful bids and unsuccessful bids.)

when the media announces that a picasso sold for $12,000,000 (or when
bonhams or chait provides meteorite sales figures) the amount quoted
is the sum of the hammer price and buyer's commission, in effect,
what the buyer ultimately has to pay.

absentee bids are typically logged in advance of a sale (auction)
such that an accurate hammer price of any given lot can be announced
before continuing to the next lot.

having said the previous....running a smooth, transparent auction is
a very large undertaking and mistakes are made---even by the largest
auction houses.

all best / darryl

auction