[meteorite-list] TUCSON AUCTION BID RESULTS

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:55:14 -0800

Hi Ma and all,
        I believe they sold cheaply because of the recent history of this
particular fall:
1) Several (actually, many) years ago a very few American Dealers
bought up a huge supply of Nan-Tans ranging I quality from
exquisite irons with their internal matrix of Widmenschtaten
pattern exposed on the outer surface, triolite globules forming
fantastic forms on the surfaces of some.
2) Some small Nan-Tans were 3 dimensional triangles and
other geometric forms embodying the above mentioned patterns.
(See my article on these fantastic beauties in an old issue of
VOYAGE! - I believe the article had a silly title like "Oh, those
Nan-Tans!" About that time I, personally sold out a relatively
 large and expensive assortment of such specimens - this was
years ago)
3) These Nan-Tans are not "cheep" by any means
4) I have had two large Nan-Tans in my own collection for many
years. San Diego is so rust producing I refuse to buy and sell (or
to collect) sliced irons of any kind. However, of these two large
Nan-Tans one has developed a fine coating of deep brown rust, but
has lost none of its stunning surface features (many of which are
quite minutely detailed) from "flaking" off surface pieces. It has
merely oxidized. The other (with a hole) has only partially oxidized
over the years and still shows mostly a shiny surface slightly
oxidized, but mainly "shiny."
        However, the reason it is difficult to sell quality Nan-Tans is
the fact that having sold this huge quantity of quality Nan-Tans to
a few dealers, many Chinese dealers then began to import huge
quantities of Nan-Tan shale balls that, in fact, mostly consisted
of oxidized, flaking garbage. These soon reached a "market price"
of about $10 to $20 per LB but more importantly, formed an impression
among collectors that this is what a "Nan-Tan" meteorite IS.
        Lastly, at the auction were only 3 very plane (but non-rusting)
masses only one of which had one side that had an interesting surface
pattern and they had all oxidized. Therefore, everyone associated them
with the stereotype that has become the "definition" of "Nan-Tan" among
collectors. I did not bid on them, myself, not because they weren't worth
much more than they brought, but because they cannon be marketed
to my customer base for anything close to what they are worth.
        Hope this explains why the auction produced such limited return
on the 3 offered.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something if his
salary depends on him not understanding it.