[meteorite-list] Langs Auction - Official Statement

From: rockgirl at twcny.rr.com <rockgirl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:58:21 -0500

Dear List Members,
?
Having just returned home from the 2007 Tucson show Allan and I would like
to make the following statement
regarding our annual meteorite auction:
?
1) First of all, thank you to our many friends and customers who
participated in the 2007 auction. It was intended to
be a fun, family-run event, and we are very disappointed that a few
individuals have attempted to turn it into
something deceitful.
?
2) We are not professional auctioneers, and freely admit that we made some
mathematical errors during the bidding.
We had one person handling the absentee bids, one auctioneer, one
tabulating the results, and one spotting bids. In
a few instances we evidently failed to log every absentee bid, and some
lots sold for less than they should have. We
apologize for those errors and will make good on them. Allan will
personally contact the high bidders on every lot in
question, and offer them a replacement specimen, or find another
appropriate way in which to compensate them for
our mistakes.
?
3) All specimens sold were from Allan's personal collection. Funds raised
from the auction will help support The
Langheinrich Fossil Preserve -- our not-for-profit educational and research
paleontology facility in upstate New
York. Any bidder who is unhappy with any item purchased at the auction can
return it to us for a full refund.

4) At the close of the auction we could not account for three specimens
which had been won by Mr. Karl. At the time
we believed those pieces to have been stolen. We offered Mr. Karl an item
from the auction catalog at far below our
reserve as a "thank you" for his understanding regarding the lost
specimens. He accepted that offer, and left with a
very fine historic specimen for less than Allan's cost. Later, when packing
up the room, we discovered the three
specimens had accidentally been put in a box in the kitchen. We are happy
to make those specimens available to Mr.
Karl, at the hammer price, if he still wants them.
?
5) Please note that the person making the loudest accusations regarding our
integrity was not at the auction, and did
not even place absentee bids. We have been in business for over thirty
years, and we value our good reputation
above everything else. Any person -- whether a bidder or an interested
party -- who has questions about the
auction is invited to contact us in private. Allan will personally ensure
that every person who bid at the auction is
happy with the final outcome.
?
6) We are very disappointed that our integrity has been questioned by one
or two people. We also feel that The
Meteorite List is not an appropriate forum for business discussions, so
this will be our only public statement
regarding the auction.
?
Once again we thank our good friends and customers for their decades of
support. Please contact us off-List with
any questions or concerns, and we will make sure they are taken care of.
?
?
Sincerely,
?