[meteorite-list] Happy B-Day Sikhote-Alin

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:16:27 -0700

Dear Sikhote-Alin:

Happy birthday old friend! Are you really sixty today? You hardly look
a day over five billion.

Here are a couple of new photos I'd like to share:

http://www.aerolite.org/catalogue/sikhote-1582-i.htm

Looks like a pretty ordinary piece of shrapnel, right? 1,582 grams.

Well, please take a look at the other side:

http://www.aerolite.org/catalogue/sikhote-1582-ii.htm

Several large, well-formed regmaglypts are clearly visible. As we know,
the average size of thumbprints on Sikhote-Alin individuals increases
in proportion to the size of the individual. The size of these
thumbprints (1 1/2 inches by 3/4) suggests a large mass. I believe this
to be an exterior fragment from one of the bigger Sikhote masses which
exploded in flight.

Comments?

And really . . . happy birthday. My collection would be so dull without
you : )

And when I have time -- tomorrow hopefully -- will finally get around
to posting my annual Tucson Show wrap-up.

Regards to all,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org