[meteorite-list] Nantan, not garbage

From: Fredmeteorhall at aol.com <Fredmeteorhall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:34:20 EST

Hello Howard and fellow meteorite collectors:
    I agree with Michael Blood, not all Nantan are rusters or garbage. Out of
all the many hundreds of meteorites that I have collected over some 14 years,
one of my favorite slices is a 20.5 inch long by 13.5 inch high slice of
Nantan. I did have to treat it with Bill Mason's rust prevention kit, and re-etch
it shortly after buying it. This Nantan has stayed quite stable, mounted on a
wall for many years now. It is gorgeous.
    I also have a large Nantan that almost split in two during flight, looks
something like a heavy iron butterfly, and it shows no rust while being kept
in one of my meteorite show cases for six or more years now, where I use VCI
emitters. Keep in mind that I live in Colorado where the air is usually somewhat
dry.
High regards to all, Fred Hall