[meteorite-list] www.venusmeteorite.com - What is a meteoroid?

From: Randall Gregory <randall_gregory_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:08:53 -0800 (PST)

  MeteoriteKid,

  You wrote:

  "With 'meteoroids,' however, (the definition of which tends to mean dust-sized,"

  That implied my using the term meteoroid was incorrect, however that was not what I found searching for the actual definition.

  Wikipedia:
  The current International Astronomical Union (IAU) definition dates back to the XIth General Assembly, held in 1961:

   "A solid object moving in interplanetary space, of a size considerably smaller than an asteroid and considerably larger than an atom or molecule." As a result of the inexorable progress of instrumentation, this definition is now deemed by many as unacceptably vague. The most common definition was proposed in 1995 [1] and sets the size limits of meteoroids to between 100 ?m and 10 m across. Larger than that, the object is an asteroid; smaller than that, it is interplanetary dust.

  #2 NASA website "How do you get so much energy out of a 3-inch meteoroid? "Leonids travel fast?about 144,000 mph," he explains. "At that speed, even a 3-inch rock packs tremendous energy."

  I believe I was correct in using the term "meteoroid".

  Randall

Never miss an email again!